Sunday, June 27, 2010

Melbourne, Australia

When I first moved to Australia, the three adjectives I heard most associated with this city were cosmopolitan, cultural and "livable". After being in Sydney for 3 months, I decided to find out what all the fuss was about and booked a weekend trip to Melbourne.


Determined to show me how culinarily superior Melbourne was to Sydney, my friend, Matt, took me to a delightful cafe called Dead man espresso in South Melbourne. I started with a delicious "flat white", which is steamed milk with a shot of espresso. The french toast here was unlike any other I had tasted: Ciabatta French toast with dried fruit compote, poached pear and crème fraiche. Over breakfast, Matt was telling me about the third-wave coffee movement that was becoming hugely popular in Melbourne, which aims to produce high-quality coffee that is considered an artisanal foodstuff (like wine) rather than a commodity. So, I decided to get a cup of the pour-over coffee made from unblended Brazilian beans. I was very impressed with its smoothness and sweet currant flavour.



After a tram ride to the Melbourne Cricket Club and a tour of the Central Business District (CBD), it was time for lunch: High Tea and Chocolate Indulgence at Aria. Leaf tea was served with delicious English favourites such as cucumber finger sandwiches and scones with chantilly cream & preserve, on a traditional three tiered silver stand. The Chocolate Bar, which was also included with the tea, had some exotic chocolate creations from Yucatan, Costa Rica and Madagascar as well as fine chocolate houses like Lindt, Callebaut and Haigh’s.

In the evening, we met up with some friends for drinks at Roof Top bar in the CBD. This place has some great downtown views and serves up some mean cocktails. Dinner was at Portello Rosso, a Tapas and Jamon bar on Warburton lane, and it was an absolute feast. We had red peppers with goat cheese, delicious little Croquettes, lentils, chorizo, mackerel and Paella to share. For dessert, we all split a plate of Churro with chocolate and warm, Spiced chocolate pudding.

There's no shortage of chocolate & cake shops like Cacao is St Kilda and Koko Black at the Royal Arcade. I now understand what's so great about Melbourne. With its trams, bustling downtown, pubs, bars and cafes, it's a little slice of Europe with an Australian twist.

1 comment:

  1. The first time I went to DME, a little girl sitting across the table with her daddy ordered this:

    http://deadmanespresso.blogspot.com/2010/01/ricotta-pancakes-with-poached-pear.html

    I had to have it too, I've been hooked ever since :>

    Mmmm, ricotta pancakes....

    Cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete